History of St. Mary's
The early days of our church read like an American History book. The area around Silver Run was settled predominantly by Germans who made their way across the Atlantic Ocean to Philadelphia and then south to the rich fertile land of this vicinity. Here they built their homes, started their farms and raised their families. There are still families in our congregation whose roots go back to these early residents of the Silver Run area in the mid 1700’s.
The German heritage in our church is strong. All the early records and documents were written in German. Services were conducted strictly in German until about 1876 and the use of German was not entirely discontinued until the mid 1890’s. The inscription above our altar – “Allein Zu Gottes Ehre”, roughly translated --- All to the Glory of God, reflects that heritage.
Historical Items of Interest:
"Life In Silver Run In the 1930's" by H. Wayne Peck. Wayne was the son of Rev Felix Peck (1927-1930)
The Carrolltonian, April 1936. This "Historical Issue" was published by the students of Charles Carroll High School and articles include histories of our two church and the Silver Run School.